Once you agree to take any of these these steps, the country will be on the way to changing for the better. Do the first three and you are a full-fledged Amender. Agree to volunteer as well and you'll get to enjoy the company of fellow Amenders.
WHAT IT MEANS TO BECOME AN AMENDER
It means that you join this easy-step Great Cooperation to end money-bought politics, knowing that "a mend" ("to mend" in Latin) means to fix that which is broken. You do so in the full agreement that the country cannot function in a healthy way when fundamental decisions are dominated by the narrow self-interests of campaign donors taking advantage of the ceaseless need for campaign financing - even by elected officials who would prefer a different system.
To take on the identity of I AM AN AMENDER therefore is to declare yourself for a larger human vision than that selfish and unwise formula, and to become yourself a large force in life – someone who is willing to address the crux of the matter by demanding the remedy of a Constitutional Amendment. Inspired by the opportunity to overwhelm resistance, you'll link with others in letting lawmakers hear the hooves of their constituents thundering down on them.
And here is the best argument we can make as to why your personal involvement is badly needed and why we are asking that you shrug off any reservations and proudly become an Amender - even if you do nothing else political in your entire life.
- --We absolutely must honor ourselves with a political system that does justice to our highest aspirations and to our fundamental wisdom.
- --We need a politics responsive to our votes and needs - NOT one based on the promptings (or direct orders) from a handful of powerful interests ladling out crucial campaign finance dollars ONLY to those who serve them and in proportion to the extent of their service.
- --On our jobs we live a basic concept. You can’t work for me if you are being paid by someone else telling you how to do a job for me. That is considered bribery, and it would be beyond ludicrous – in fact, pure insanity - for me your employer to accept it. Yet we allow our elected officials to become beholden to others - even those officials who prefer to function differently - because of their need for ever-increasing amounts of campaign financing. This is NOT the politics of a free people.
- --We must come together to replace this system. Once in every important period of history an heroic community emerges to make vital change. The invitation to you is to join that heroic community by becoming an Amender.
- --With relatively little of your effort and a few bucks from you, it can be done. We can overwhelm Congress and the state legislatures so that they will vote a Constitutional change that replaces the current system--including the Supreme Court's Citizen United decision allowing corporations and individuals unlimited and mostly untraceable spending for candidates and issues--with an advanced system of public financing and free access to public airwaves.
- --Nobody is going to fix our campaign finance politics but you and me. If we don’t do it, who will? Do nothing and nothing gets done.
- --Besides, none of us has to do very much to get it done. Simply carry out the three major Fix Our America tasks and then sit back and watch how quickly we can build a Great Community that will overwhelm the resistance built into America’s degraded political condtion.
- --Finally, imagine your satisfaction a year from now, or two years, or even eight years from now, when the entire political system is working for the common good and not for the campaign financers and when innovative new people are willing to run for office - all because you actually did your part and you didn’t waste good time finding excuses not to.
So join us in making the words "I AM AN AMENDER" an historic pronouncement. One that resonates with the highest values for human beings and promises to make each of us beyond pleased, even beyond proud, that we are altering history for the better.